Thursday, February 19, 2009

Writers Group

Just came back from my writers group. This bunch has been a place for critique, inspiration and information. I have been away from it for about 4 weeks--travel and visitors. I also have been away from the writing process for several weeks. I need the commitment to meetings to keep me disciplined about writing. I am currently experimenting with an essay while in a lull (not a block) on my book. When the mind is churning with ideas, characters, plot lines, focusing on one project is more difficult. Avoiding writing becomes easier the longer one is away from it. It is kind of like cleaning a closet. You have the image of the organized, categorized space, but the start is to drag it all out and toss it in a jumble on the bed. Halfway through putting things back on hangers and shelves, the task begins to overwhelm. It is a jumbled mess and you don't know what to keep or what to toss and damn you are tired and just want to pour a glass of wine and watch The Daily Show. But you can't, because the mess is on the bed and you will not be able to go to sleep until you do something with it. You are tempted to throw it all into a laundry basket and sometimes you do, but then the mess calls and nags at you from that basket all night long and you sleep fitfully and wake up cranky.
copyright 2009 vickers

No comments:

Post a Comment